Bands and brands have always played nice nice, but sometimes it gets a little close for comfort. On today’s episode we welcome our intern Zack Sparrow (yes, that’s actually his name) and get a millennial voice on the question of whether brands are the new arbiters of cool.
- Brands, The New Merchants of Cool — Cuepoint — Medium
- GoPro Music| Billboard
- Brands and bands – product placement in pop is a betrayal of fans’ loyalty | Rebecca Nicholson | The Guardian
- Pop music’s biggest sellout: How many brands paid for product placement in your favorite songs? – Salon.com
- Scion’s Music Label Attracts Big Names by Putting Artists First | Adweek
- Songs As Branding Platforms? A Historical Analysis of People, Places, and Products in Pop Music Lyrics (PDF)
- Universal’s New Ad Initiative Will Match Bands With Brands | Rolling Stone
- Red Bull Music
- Red Bull Media House
And here we leave you with this clip from the Colbert Report featuring The Black Keys facing off against Vampire Weekend to see which one is the bigger sell out. Hashtag ironic.